Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Before I Even Get Started

The organization I will be helping out at is called Everett Meal Program and is held at the Praise Chapel on California St. During Everett Meal program I will “Help prep, serve and clean up breakfast” for the homeless and low income families. There will be faith messages and I will interact with the low income community. (Shiftboard Everett Meals) Since I have not started my service learning project I can only speculate who I will be working with. I am assuming I will be serving a variety of ethnic backgrounds; African Americans, Caucasians, Mexicans, and so forth. People who need a little help getting food on the table for their families. I am expecting to see children accompany their parents. I am going to drive to Praise Chapel Thursday mornings and walk in the small chapel then put on an apron and help cook food and clear tables then after breakfast there is supposed to be a session like AA where I will sit around and open up about my life to people I haven’t met before that day. I am thinking that after this experience I will feel more accepting towards all people and open with strangers, because strangers are friends you haven’t left yet. I chose Praise Chapel to help out at because I know people that are struggling with drugs and alcohol. Plus I used to help out at a food bank I imagine it will be something like that. I also have an extreme passion for the hungry, I believe everyone should have food on their table even if it means me giving away my lunch.

*I could not find a website concerning Everett Meal Program held at Praise Chapel in Everett.*

No comments:

Post a Comment